Friday, July 17, 2009

Eighteenth.

18 years ago, on this very day at the 11th hour & 10minutes in the morning, I was born, KelseyShaunaLokeSiewLing the youngest of two sisters and daughter of my mum and a dad who had hoped that I was a son after two failed attempts.

17 years ago, I took off on my first flight with my mum to visit my ailing grandfather & to witness my mum’s brother’s marriage in Canada.


A year old with my two and a half year older cousin and "chia gong".


16 years ago, I watched my sisters trot off to kindergarten, leaving me happily alone at home to play with all the other toys.

15 years ago, I celebrated my first birthday in a foreign land, my 3rd birthday and was also baptised in Canada.



A 3 year old me in Vancouver.

14 years ago, I joined Tiny Tots Kindergarten, prancing around in my yellow sundress.


13 years ago, I watched yet again as my two older sisters entered primary school and left me behind in kindergarten. I also begin taking ballet lessons & if I'm not wrong, started yamaha too.


12 years ago, I visited Australia for the first time and graduated kindergarten, performed an indian dance in a saree for my graduation but before doing so, walked down the aisle for my first and only time as a flower girl.

A 6 year old me as flower girl with Russell as the ringbearer. =D


11 years ago, I entered primary school and to the disbelief of my mum, obtained first in class. Needless to say, it was the only time.

10 years ago, much to my family's shock, I was no longer the youngest of the family and welcomed my miracle & unexpected brother, Jordan.


9 years ago, I became a prefect in year3, along with the rest of my bestfriends who were all prefects too. It was the last year with pts which I attempted but obviously failed. Oh well.

8 years ago, I watched one sister take on upsr while the other had her first step into high school. In school, I resigned as prefect and took on the post of librarian.

7 years ago, I transited into year5 where studies got a little more intense. I had my first cruise ship experience in Alaska during a trip to Canada which is the only time & place I've been to in the States. I resigned as librarian, and was appointed class representative but only because the teacher favoured me and I proved to be a lousy class rep. =P
Cruise ship at age 11 with 3 year old brother.

6 years ago, I sat for upsr and managed to somehow get straight As.

5 years ago, I took my first step into high school, SM Convent, a whole new environment with people I did not know. I was lucky because I was one of the music students and my sisters were apparently quite well known in school. It is thanks to being a music student that my early high school years were full of rebellious fun & I came out of my shell. (maybe one day I will tell why) I was appointed treasurer very much to my surprise, I was the new girl and I guess people wanted to make me feel welcomed so they put me up for class rep nomination and I got the post of treasurer. *shrugs*

4 years ago, was I guess you could say the beginning of hormones and puberty. I had my first boyfriend & first love. Both not the same mind you. I encountered my first ever almost life threatening incident when I got hurt by the glass shower door and had 18 stitches altogether. That incident however, is significant in itself because it marked the beginning of many many things which still lasts even to this day. (maybe one day too I will write about this, but in due time)

HM Amazing Race camp 2005, oh the memories.

3 years ago, I undertook pmr and obtained 4As for it. Well, I blame it on the fact that I knew I wasnt studying in msia anymore, but who knows. =P It was my last year in a Msian school and it isnt a year I remember much of, I'm not sure why.



Aged 15, class party.


2 years ago, I made a life changing choice to study in Victoria. One of the best choices I have made despite the many sacrifices. Studying here is a whole new experience and living here is simply almost like another world. It was the year of entering into senior high, first kiss, first 'prom', first taste of 'independence' & a big big first in studying everything in English.


Girls Boarding House 2007


A year ago, was a year of little epiphanies & wonders of being 17. I kicked away old habits and grew more into my very own self. It was a year of going around in two different circles and slight confusion. But still very much a year of becoming my very own person.

My 17th birthday a year ago.


Today, as of 11.10am, I turn the big 18. No one has but if you ask what my ultimate birthday present is, I really would not know the answer.


If you asked me if I saw myself in this position a year ago, I'd tell you, you gotta be joking!. I would never have thought I'd be who I am & where I'm at in life this day. I'd never imagine my life to be as of such. But far from being unsatisfied and displeased, I'm proud of this person I've grown to be. =)


I cant wait for my journey of life to further unfold & the challenges ahead awaiting my encounter, so all I wish for this birthday, is His guidance.


So I guess all thats left now, is;




ooi, Happy Birthday you!



Photograph notes: First few are taken on my wall with macro by my camera so its a bit sesat-ed. I'm sorry if you've seen this photos before, their all I have here so not my fault. You want the real thing, go find me when I'm back in Msia. ;)



P.S. : It doesnt feel like my birthday at all.

P.P.S. : Lots of Hugs & Kisses today would be great.

<3

4 comments: